You know how to take care of your teeth. Healthy brushing habits and a dependable flossing schedule keep teeth strong and looking good. For those with Invisalign, caring for your aligners is a lot like caring for your teeth. There are certain ways to keep your Invisalign aligners fresh for everyday wear and certain instructions that should be followed when cleaning your aligners. The dos’ and don’ts of Invisalign care are important to follow.
- Do – Rinse your aligners before replacing after eating. The sugars left on your teeth from food or drinks can get trapped under the aligners if you don’t rinse with plain water.
- Don’t – Use toothpaste to clean your aligners. Toothpaste is too abrasive and will scratch the Invisalign aligners.
- Do – Use dish soap such as Dawn to clean your aligners. Dish soap is much softer than toothpaste and won’t scratch the aligners. Denture cleanser tablets are also a good choice.
- Don’t – Leave your aligners out in the open if you have pets. Pets see Invisalign aligners as a fun, new chew toy and will destroy the aligners.
- Do – Place your aligners in their case when not in your mouth. Getting into the habit of placing them in their case when not worn will ensure that your aligners won’t get lost, broken, or chewed by your pets.
- Don’t – Hesitate to call KCC Orthodontics if you lose or break an aligner. We will instruct you on whether to move to the next aligner based on your treatment plan or to come in to see us.
Invisalign aligners need to be properly cared for. By adhering to these do’s and don’ts, you’ll be sure to keep your treatment plan on track. Visit our Invisalign treatment page on our website for more information on the best way to care for your aligners, and don’t hesitate to call KCC Orthodontics to ask a question about Invisalign.
Photo: aumadigitalcuritiba from Pixabay