February is Dental Health Month! KCC Orthodontics believes that beautiful smiles can last a lifetime with good oral hygiene. It’s important to teach healthy dental habits to children as soon as their first tooth starts emerging. Here are some healthy habits to teach your kids to prepare them for lifelong dental health.
- Brush teeth twice daily – It goes without saying that brushing your teeth is an important aspect of dental health. Children learn by example, so showing your child how you brush their teeth will help them understand how to take care of their own.
- Floss once daily – Brushing does not clean between your teeth. Flossing will clean the hard-to-reach areas and keep your gums healthy.
- Rinse away sugars – After your child eats sugary foods, have them rinse their mouth with water. The water will help remove the sugar left behind. This helps prevent cavities and keeps the teeth strong.
- Incorporate calcium-rich foods – Developing teeth require calcium to help the jawbone grow strong. Incorporating foods with a high calcium content into your child’s diet is the best way for them to get the required nutrients. Such foods include cheese, yogurt, beans, and broccoli.
- See a dentist – Seeing a dentist twice a year will help ensure your child maintains healthy dental habits. This ensures that any issues will be caught at an early age.
Orthodontics is only recommended when a patient has healthy teeth. KCC Orthodontics recommends scheduling your child’s first orthodontic consultation at seven years old. By that time, the jaw and teeth are developed enough to determine if early treatment could benefit your child. These tips for proper oral hygiene can help your child prepare for a future of strong teeth. Good dental health starts at a young age, so don’t wait to introduce your kids to healthy dental habits.
Photo: Ketut Subiyanto for Pexels